SoapMaker 3.16.1 Release Notes
Released January 24, 2020.
This release completes the beta test of version 3.16.0, and also makes some improvements and fixes a couple of bugs:
- Fixed bug in Soap Recipe form - if you shifted a base oil to a different position in the list of oils,
and then chose view by percentage instead of by quantity, the graph qualities displayed were incorrect.
- Fixed bug in MyRecipes - toolbar HELP button was being cut off.
- Changed MySupplies so when editing Base Oil specs, the Properties button is not included in the highlighted area.
- Changed Shopping List to avoid suggesting another blend batch is needed if existing stock is exactly enough
to satisfy planned recipes. (This could occur due to rounding when converting to grams).
SoapMaker 3.16.0 beta Release Notes
Released December 23, 2019.
This release fixes some long-standing problems that were recently discovered. The changes appear small, but touched a lot of code,
so it's being released for beta-testing first.
Invoices Report: If you recorded an invoice with a handling fee but no tax on the fee, an
error occured when trying to view the invoice in the list.
MySupplies: Previously it was possible to edit item specifications like specific gravity and INCI name
'on the fly' while browsing a list of items. But this resulted in the possibility of saving the wrong value.
For example, if the cursor was left in the input box for specific gravity and then a new item was defined, the new item
could be saved with the previous item's SG value instead of the new one entered.
To avoid this problem, a different approach is now used for editing item specifications - to change a value
you must click the new Edit button. While in edit mode, all other controls are disabled until you
Save or Cancel.
To make it easier to use this new approach, keyboard shortcuts enable you to do it all from the keyboard:
||Move to the next main Tab (Base Oil, Lye/Water, Additives, etc.)
||On the Additives or Packaging tab, switches between Organize by Category view and Sortable List view.
||Move up or down within the displayed list.
||Expand or collapse a category in the Organize by Category view.
||Start editing an item's specifications (e.g. Notes, SG value, tracking options)
||Move to the next input field
||Save changes made to an item's specifications
||Cancel changes and exit the Edit mode
Other changes to MySupplies:
- When you choose any tab in MySupplies, the displayed list or tree is focused so you can use
the keyboard arrow keys to navigate. But note: when first loading SoapMaker, if MySupplies opens and there is a dialog
(e.g. Daily tip), the Base Oils list will not have focus until you click in it.
- When you choose Organize by Category view, the options to show only items with stock remaining or
that need replenishing are hidden because they have no effect in this view.
The Users Manual has been updated to reflect all these changes.
SoapMaker 3.15.2 Release Notes
Released December 13, 2019.
This release fixes some problems and adds a few improvements.
Fixed bugs in the Product Transfers report:
- Exporting to CSV file was not including packaging costs.
- If comments included a return it caused a new line in the exported file.
The following improvements will make it easier to use SoapMaker:
- When creating a Product Transfer record if you transfer all the stock from another location
back to the HOME location, it will no longer delete the product record - instead it will just show zero stock left.
- Similarly, in MyProducts if you edit a batch record for a location other than home and set stock left to zero,
the record will not be deleted.
- When saving a New Supply Shipment, the unnecessary confirmation dialog is no longer shown unless there was an issue,
or you have selected the option to record another shipment after saving.
- When saving a recipe, the warning message you may see if portion settings are incorrect is now optional.
You can turn these off if you don't want to be reminded.
(Note that you will still see a warning if the recipe contains packaging items assigned to a sub-batch that has no portions
because these items will not be saved with the recipe.)
SoapMaker 3.15.1 Release Notes
Released December 3, 2019.
This release just fixes some problems with the Reused Products report:
- Attempting to delete a record could cause an error in some cases.
- When creating a new item, it might not be selected correctly when the report was first shown.
- Added a clarification to message explaining what happens when an item is deleted.
- If you return all the original stock from a reused product, you now have the option to also delete the transfer record.
SoapMaker 3.15.0 Release Notes
Released November 13, 2019.
This update fixes a couple of bugs, and adds a few improvements.
It coincides with the initial release of the FREE edition, and major face-lift to the website.
Changes to Soapmaker LITE and PROFESSIONAL editions:
- MySupplies: Added recipe name displayed for supply items that are reused products.
It was possible to change SG value and then close without saving the change.
- MyRecipes caused an error if you right-clicked and chose New Recipe from the pop-up menu.
- Changed users manual to provide correct FAQ for special price purchases, and
added clarifying note on using 'packaging' item to include labor costs.
SoapMaker 3.14.14 Release Notes
Released July 29, 2019.
This update fixes a couple of bugs, and adds a small improvement.
- In MySupplies, if Show only tracked items was checked, the Organize by Category view
would sometimes still show untracked items, and creating a new category caused an error.
- Added new Dock button to MySupplies so you can easily move it to the side of the main window.
- In some situations, MySupplies Pro-only options appeared to be enabled for the Lite edition.
SoapMaker 3.14.13 Release Notes
Released July 20, 2019.
Some users still getting occasional errors when creating new categories. This update suppresses those spurious errors.
SoapMaker 3.14.12 Release Notes
Released July 20, 2019.
This update fixes a few bugs and adds some minor improvements:
- MyPreferences was not correctly saving the desired method of specifying water in new recipes.
- Selecting a different method for specifying water sometimes did not enable the SAVE button.
- The Dock buttons in MyRecipes and the Qualities Graph now dock BOTH windows if open.
- The main Help menu item Users Manual now opens at the topic 'Getting Started'.
This topic also appears in the list of Common Tasks accessed by the main toolbar HELP button.
- MySupplies sometimes caused an error when adding a new category.
- The Additives and Packaging Tree views did not automatically scroll to show new items or categories after they were added.
SoapMaker 3.14.11 Release Notes
Released July 6, 2019.
This update adds one new feature - in soap recipes you now have the option to specify the water amount
by Water/Lye Ratio (as well as the previous options: Discount from suggested or
Lye Solution Strength.
SoapMaker 3.14.10 Release Notes
Released May 20, 2019.
This update fixes 3 bugs:
- Sales History report: The View Invoice command was not selecting the
invoice correctly, and could trigger an error.
- Importing sales records showed the wrong price if a line item had to be
split across multiple batches.
- When recording batches with a labor 'packaging' item set as 'not for inventory',
the labor cost was not being included in the batch cost.
SoapMaker 3.14.9 Release Notes
Released April 10, 2019.
This update fixes a few problems:
- The Shopping List caused an error if recipe portion quantity exceeded 32000.
- The Invoices Report would cause an error if an unknown invoice number was encountered.
- The Tax and Income Sumary report could cause an error when opening on a computer with a large screen.
- If you changed your system decimal point from period to comma (or vice versa), and had recorded
previous supply orders, an error could occur when viewing the List of All Purchases report, or trying to edit
a previous supply order.
SoapMaker 3.14.8 Release Notes
Released February 12, 2019.
Another bug fixed in the New Batch form. Hopefully the last one.
An error occurred if you tried to edit the lots of a packaging item when recording a new batch.
SoapMaker 3.14.7 Release Notes
Released February 8, 2019.
This update fixes one more bug in the New Batch form:
If you selected a different option for portions, the packaging quantities were not being initialized, so were double-counted.
SoapMaker 3.14.6 Release Notes
Released February 8, 2019.
This update fixes a few bugs:
- The New Batch form was mixing up quantity_used and quantity_left for packaging items in some cases.
- The Supply Lots Used report was sorting items by quantity, but this scrambles the list if it contains
blend ingredients, so it is no longer being sorted.
- The Users Manual did not explain how blended ingredients are shown on the Supply Lots Used report.
- The Product Transfers report list was not enabled so scrolling didn't work.
SoapMaker 3.14.5 Release Notes
Released January 19, 2019.
This update fixes one obscure bug, and completes the beta test.
If you included packagaging items in a recipe, and duplicated an item specifying quantities 'per SB-x' AND 'per SB-y',
the second one's quantity was not being included in the Supply Lots Used report.
SoapMaker 3.14.4 beta Release Notes
Released January 17, 2019 for beta testing.
This update fixes a few bugs.
Also added a help topic 'Specific Gravity Topics' which just lists the other pages
(including the list of common substance SG values) for easier access when defining a new additive item.
Please give it a try and report any problems.
- The New Batch form was not including packaging item costs if recipe rate for the item was 'Total' or 'per Any portion'
instead of 'per Sub-Batch portion'.
- If there was insufficient stock to satisfy the full quantity of a packaging item, the cost of the extra items was not
included in the batch cost.
- The Sales Record form was causing an occasional error.
- If SoapMaker is installed on a new computer and registered with a CD number, you are directed to go to the website
to get a new registration number. However, the website address was incorrect.
- Importing Sales Records could cause an error if the imported file was formatted using only LineFeed characters between rows.
This has been fixed and files like this are now parsed correctly.
SoapMaker 3.14.3 Release Notes
Released January 11, 2019
This update just fixes one bug, and makes a small change to the Sales History report.
- Fixed bug in the New Batch form: If you recorded a batch which includes packaging items,
and then recorded a different batch without packaging, the packaging costs from the previous batch were
included in the new batch total cost.
- Changed the Sales History report to show product Tags instead of sizes for consistency with invoices.
SoapMaker 3.14.2 Release Notes
Released December 28, 2018
This update provides several improvements, and fixes a few bugs.
- A new option to view (or export) stock quantities for a selected location.
- A new option when exporting to create a file formatted for easy import into Square.
- The Users Manual has new or extended topics covering exporting Price List to Square,
and importing sales from Square.
- You can now edit the description for the Home location
(important if you export your Price List to Square).
- Added View Customer to context menu.
In version 3.10, the ability to specify sub-batch portions was added to the recipe form.
This is important if you split a batch into sub-batches of different sized products, and include packaging items in the recipe,
so that you can associate each packaging item with the correct product size.
However this has turned out to be an unpopular change with users who don't split batches because when you saved a recipe
without specifying portions you got an annoying warning.
Now, if you set your Preferences with either a default portion size, or number of portions, when you create a new recipe,
it will automatically calculate the quantity or size to match for one sub-batch.
If you make multiple sub-batches and include packaging, it's still important to specify portions on the recipe form.
If you don't split your batch, or don't include packaging, you can adjust portion size and quantity when you record a batch,
or later by editing in MyProducts.
To make this new feature work, MyPreferences will now insist that each recipe type has at least one sub-batch size or
quantity set as default (you don't need both), together with a default Tag (e.g. 'regular').
Miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements.
SoapMaker 3.14.1 Release Notes
Released December 2, 2018
- Import Sales form - Added option to import unit prices instead of total prices,
and made several improvements for speed and ease of use.
- By default, management center windows will open automatically if they were open last session (MySupplies, MyProducts, MyRecipes and the Qualities Graph).
Now there is a new option in MyPreferences to choose whether or not you want this feature.
- When exporting a detailed list from MySupplies, if a supplier name contained a comma,
it caused subsequent columns to shift to the right.
- On the Import Sales form, the Skip Row button was not working.
- Added better error handling when exporting the Suppliers Report.
- On computers with a small screen, when a recipe was in full-screen mode,
some ingredient lists did not show scrollbars.
SoapMaker 3.14.0 Release Notes
Released November 17, 2018
- Supply Lots Used report:
- Now includes Percentage for each ingredient.
- Shows component ingredients of blends used to make the batch
- Uses batch portion units for sizes, instead of recipe units from preferences.
- New Batch Form: Long supplier names are truncated for better display when editing supply lots.
- New option to export a detailed list showing all purchased lots with stock remaining, including expiry dates.
- New preference setting to select the number of days before an item's expiry date to show warning icon.
- Purchase History report:
- Now opens with taller default height. For maximum convenience, first position MySupplies to one side of the main window
(and close the Wizard pane if open). Then when you open the Purchase History, it will sit beside MySupplies and can be
left open while you select different supply items to see their history.
- Added ability to edit expiry dates.
- Removed icon for expired lots; instead expiry date will be flagged with *.
- Added option to show only items with stock remaining.
- When printing list with long Lot Numbers, they will force a new line if needed to avoid overlapping next field.
- Added suggestion to print using landscape format, and improved column spacing with this format.
- Added grid lines to list view for easier reading of dense list.
- Supplier List:
- The complete list can now be exported as a CSV file.
- The window can be stretched longer if you have many suppliers listed.
- A warning is shown when reusing products if the selected supply item has already been used to save reused products made with a different recipe.
- A new button has been added for clearing the search field. After typing a batch number to search for, you can press Enter to do the search, or ESC to cancel it.
- When exporting the batch list as a CSV file, you now have the option to choose the separator character (e.g. comma or tab).
- When SoapMaker first opens:
It will no longer automatically open MyRecipes, MySupplies or MyProducts. It used to do this as a convenience,
but this could result in unnecessary screen clutter. You can open any of these by clicking the main toolbar button - the window will open with the
same size and location as the last time it was used.
- New Supply Purchase form:
- If you just checked the Not for Business or Special Price box and then saved the item,
it was not flagged as missing information and an error would occur if you then saved the form.
- Added code to suppress occasional spurious error when Enter key is pressed to save a new item.
- Customer List:
- When defining a new customer or branch, the contact name was not being saved unless you also entered email or phone.
- The branch table was not being initialized correctly which could cause problems later when trying to link a product location.
When you install this update, your database will be corrected to avoid this problem.
- MyMolds: A mold with a very large volume could cause an error when showing the list.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes and minor improvements.
SoapMaker 3.13.10 Release Notes
Released September 24, 2018
This release fixes some bugs, and changes the way CDs are registered:
- The Price List caused an error when first opening if there are no products.
- New Supply Shipment form - if you edited a previous order, deleted the last item and then pressed the
New Item button, an error occurred.
- MySupplies - If you defined a new custom oil and the display was set to show only items with stock remaining,
an error occurred.
- An occasional error could occur in several modules when they were first opened and attempted to adjust their size to fit.
New CD registration scheme
If you originally purchased SoapMaker on a CD, when you move to a different computer and install this latest release,
you will not be able to register using the CD number - instead you will be directed to a page to re-register and receive
a new number.
SoapMaker 3.13.9 Release Notes
Released August 18, 2018
This release fixes a few bugs and adds several improvements to the program and the users manual.
- Options to show only items which need replenishing or have stock are now radio buttons instead of check boxes,
since they are mutually exclusive. These options are disabled when viewing with Organize by Category
since all items are shown in this view.
- Any categories expanded in the Organize by Category view will now remain expanded when you add or remove categories or items.
- Import Sales form:
- The form will now remember the input file type from last session (TXT or CSV) and use that as the default.
- When importing sales records from a file, rows with invalid fields are now automatically skipped,
and you can optionally skip the first valid row if it contains the column names.
- If you use the Square point-of-sale system, a new users manual topic will help you import
sales records from Square into SoapMaker 3.
- If you enter a product code into the Price List and it finds the same code exists for another product with no stock left,
it will now give you the option to reuse the code, and remove it from the previous product.
- If you try to record a sale with consolidated batches made with the same recipe
but having different product descriptions, you will now see a message saying
this cannot be done and explaining how to avoid this limitation.
- When exporting reports as CSV files, the filetype is now lowercase for consistency with other programs.
- Added FAQ help topics about printing to file and emailing customer invoices.
- The Sales History report was adding returned quantities instead of subtracting.
- The Edit Lot feature in the New Blend form was not working.
- When recording a sale with consolidated batches, the quantity units (bars/portions) could be blank.
- The Users Manual description of MyProducts has been changed to correctly describe use of the 'Consolidate Products' option.
SoapMaker 3.13.8 Release Notes
Released June 22, 2018
This release provides a few improvements and fixes some bugs:
- Resize Recipe dialog:
- Even if a recipe has multiple sub-batches, you can resize by specifying
portion number and size (for a single sub-batch) in the resized copy.
- Initial Waste factor is taken from the source recipe rather than from Preferences.
- Improved accuracy to allow for waste when resizing to fit mold
- Recipe form:
- On the Portions tab, you can now use the Adjust Number of Bars buttons to handle
negative excess. These buttons are now only enabled if appropriate.
- Recipes can be saved even if no bars/portions are specified.
If a packaging item is specified per bar, but no bars have been specified, you will be warned that
the item will not be saved, but can still save the recipe if desired.
- The recipe header now shows the cost per bar/portion of the first specified sub-batch,
rather than the average cost for all portions.
- New Batch form:
- Now allows editing of Packaging lots so they don't match recipe quantities if desired.
- If you make a batch with a recipe that has no bars/portions specified,
the Portions Made area defaults to the 'Custom' setting instead of the 'As per recipe' setting
so you can immediately enter the desired values.
- New HELP topic added: 'Tracing Source Ingredients for a Blend'
- Errors could occur when using Remove Stock, Reuse Products or Return Reused features
if your system was set to use comma as decimal point.
- It was possible to enter a purchase order item with a blank name (one or more spaces).
If you then saved the order, an error occurred.
- The minimum width of MySupplies has been increased because the HELP button might not be showing.
- Purchase History report:
- Trying to remove a supply item when the initial amount was zero caused an error.
- An ingredient name would not show correctly if it included '&'
- The popup context menu showed that it was possible to change the lot number,
but since version 3.12 the only way to do this is to edit the original purchase order.
- For Blended ingredients, it now shows that the date can be changed as well as the quantity.
- When making a new batch, the initial Portions values always used those from the recipe
even if same as previous batch was the default setting.
- In soap recipes if you used the Adjust Water feature with an additive, then changed the water
calculation option from 'Discount' to 'Lye Solution' or vice versa, the other option was not displayed correctly.
Although this did not affect the water amount, it could be confusing.
- The Resize Recipe dialog Cancel button would trigger a warning for invalid entries instead of
just allowing you to cancel.
- Added code in New Supply Shipment form to chase occasional weird error when Enter key is pressed
- please report if you see this error and send the error log file.
SoapMaker 3.13.7 Release Notes
Released May 7, 2018
This release fixes a few bugs, including one serious one that can affect lye calculation under some conditions.
It also adds a couple of improvements.
- In a soap recipe, if you edited the list of base oils to shift an oil up or down in the list,
SAP values were not shifted to match so lye calculation could be incorrect until you saved and reopened the recipe.
- In the New Batch dialog, if you edited the lot of a packaging item to select a different purchase lot,
the cost was not being adjusted correctly.
- Pressing space while editing a Tag on the Recipe Portions page caused the cursor to move to the beginning of the line.
- When opening a new Sales Register, or editing a previous one, product codes from the last register saved
could incorrectly be applied to new items.
- When the Reuse Dialog first opens and you select Additive or Packaging, the Category list automatically
selects the first one, but the name list remained empty until a category was manually selected.
- The Recipe Portions page now provides buttons for adjusting either the number of bars/portions
or the bar/portion size to use up any excess.
- When recording a new purchase, if you type a base oil name which is not currently one of your favorites,
it will immediately be added to the favorites list so it becomes available in recipes.
- A new option has been added in MyPreferences related to the Print Dialog. Normally when printing,
the Print Dialog will open so you can easily select the desired printer, choose landscape or portrait format, etc.
But if you prefer to use the default system printer and settings, you can un-check this option to skip the dialog and print directly.
SoapMaker 3.13.6 Release Notes
Released April 24, 2018
This release fixes a couple of small bugs, and marks the end of the
beta test period for version 3.13.
- The Reuse Products dialog was not saving costs correctly for products
which include packaging items.
- A few users reported an occasional error in the New Supply Purchase form
when the Enter key was pressed.
SoapMaker 3.13.5 Beta Release Notes
Released April 16, 2018 for beta test
This update adds a few improvements and fixes several bugs.
- There is a completely redesigned Customer List which is smaller and easier to use.
(The old customers report is still available, but please give the new one a try.)
- The New Supply Purchase form will now show more decimals for very small quantities.
- Changes to various toolbar button captions and menus for consistent use of ellipses.
- When making a blend batch, the 'best before' date is now set to match that of the
ingredient lot with the oldest expiry date.
- Options for recording labor costs have been clarified in the Users Manual.
- If you delete a Price Category in MyPreferences, it now checks whether you have any customers
with this preferred category, and warns you.
- MySupplies was not showing the correct icon for additives past their expiry date.
- The Make New Blend dialog Edit Lots feature was not showing any items.
- When saving an edited supply order, the New Supply Purchase form had lost the ability to re-create
a missing purchase record.
- If you entered purchases with 'fl oz' as units and then used the Finish Later feature,
when you resumed the order, the units were blank.
- The New Batch dialog caused an error if the recipe had duplicate packaging items
(e.g. for multiple sub-batches).
- It was possible to accidentally delete the default MiscPkg category for Packaging items
in MySupplies, but then there was no way to restore it.
SoapMaker 3.13.4 Beta Release Notes
Released March 28, 2018 for beta test
This update fixes one bug - an error could occur when saving changes to a batch in MyProducts.
SoapMaker 3.13.3 Beta Release Notes
Released March 28, 2018 for beta test
This update fixes two bugs:
- In MyProducts, printing batch details caused an error.
- In regions where comma is used as decimal point, an error occurred when updating the database
on first run if recipe waste factor was set with a fractional value.
SoapMaker 3.13.2 Beta Release Notes
Released March 23, 2018 for beta test
This update fixes a couple of bugs:
- On the Sales Register form, if you added items directly without entering quantities, and deleted an
item before adding quantities to any items, the Save button was disabled and remained disabled.
- On some computers, an error occurs when trying to open the Supply Orders report.
This update should fix the problem, or at least provide more clues in the error log if it still occurs.
SoapMaker 3.13.1 Beta Release Notes
Released March 21, 2018 for beta test
This update adds a new improvement, and fixes a few bugs found during beta test:
First the improvement: When you export any report as CSV file now, you have the option to choose
either comma or tab as the field separator character. Whichever you choose will be the default for the next time.
- The Edit Stock removed dialog caused an error if you saved a comment containing an apostrophe.
Now all forms that save notes or comments are checked and illegal database characters are replaced with valid ones.
- If you recorded a sales register or product transfer register and included a packaging item for shipping with no purchase record,
the item was not included in the saved register. Now it will be included but will show zero cost.
- The Users Manual showed an incorrect value for the specific gravity of sodium lactate. It should be 1.33, not 0.133.
- It was possible to save a non-soap recipe with a sub-batch having no Tag or duplicate Tag.
- In MyProducts, if you were editing batch details and pressed Shift-Enter while in the top text box for sub-batches, an error occurred.
- An error could occur when saving an edited Supply Order if a related purchase record had been deleted since the order was originally saved.
- When saving a new batch with packaging items drawn from more than one lot, if you unchecked one of the lots and then saved, an error could occur.
SoapMaker 3.13.0 Beta Release Notes
Released March 15, 2018 for beta test
This is a major update with new features and improvements, as well as a few bug fixes.
Previously you could only specify one size of bar/portion in a recipe, although you could specify up to
4 sub-batches with different sized bars/portions when recording a batch, or later by editing the batch in MyProducts.
Now you can specify up to 4 sub-batches in the recipe form, with quantity and size of
bar/portion for each sub-batch.
Packaging items can be specified per sub-batch portion, per any portion, or
total for the recipe. This will result in more accurate bar/portion costs, and make it unnecessary
to adjust packaging lots in the New Batch dialog.
Waste factor and Shrinkage are now set in each recipe, rather than just applied when you record a batch.
When you update to this version, existing recipes will receive the current settings from your Preferences.
When you make a new batch now, it will default to using either the recipe settings for bar/portion quantities and sizes,
as well as waste and shrinkage, or the previous batch settings if any, based on which option you used the last time you made a batch.
You can change this option, or enter custom settings for this batch.
To get to know this new feature, before you make your next batch open the recipe and click the new Portions tab.
Set it up the way you want and save the recipe before making a batch. This is how it's intended to work now. (Of course you can still
do it the old way if desired.)
Accounting for Batch Excess or Scraps
You can now write off excess scraps from a batch, or reuse them as ingredients for rebatching.
When a batch is first made, or edited later and portions are changed, if there is significant excess
you may see an optional reminder that you can write off the scraps and record it in the Stock Removed report,
or reuse the excess as an additive for use in other recipes.
Stock Removed Report
You can now print a receipt for removed stock items (products or supplies) given as donations.
A new Edit button allows you to change the date, purpose or comment for a selected record.
Other New Features
- The Invoices/Sales Registers report can now be exported as a CSV file that can be opened in a spreadsheet.
The file contains all the data for each invoice listed, including taxes and card fee.
- You can now set the date when removing stock or reusing products.
- In the Supply Lots Used report, a new toolbar button will open the supplies stocklist and purchase history for the selected item.
- The Reused Products report now shows the sub-batch number as well as the batch, and the original recipe used to make the product.
A new toolbar button and context menu item will open the recipe associated with a selected item.
- From MyProducts you can now print a consignment stocklist suitable for sharing with your consignment customers.
Reused Product Ingredients
- If a recipe includes a reused product as an additive (e.g. if you made a soap base for reuse),
when you export the recipe ingredient list, it will include all the ingredients from the recipe for the reused product.
The reused recipe ingredients are in the correct proportions so the list is sorted in order of quantity (largest first) suitable for making labels.
- In the Shopping List, if you add a recipe that includes reused products, the ingredients for those products will be included in the list.
Reducing MyProducts batch list Loading delays
- If MyProducts is open when you save a recipe or make changes in MyRecipes, the batch list will be refreshed ONLY if you have chosen
the option to show batches by recipe (rather than by product description).
- When recording a new product batch with a date the current year, MyProducts is automatically set to show only batches made
This Year to avoid delays in populating the batch list.
- Previously when you recorded a new batch, and MyProducts was already open, it would switch filters
like view by recipe to ensure the new batch record would be visible. But this could be annoying if you had already set the
filters the way you wanted. Now it will only change filter settings if needed to ensure the new batch will be visible in the list.
- The New Supply Purchase form, and Supply Orders Report have been changed to make it clearer that the
'Non-Inventory' checkbox means 'Not for Business'.
- When the Sales Registers/Invoices report is opened, it will remember the previous state of the Show only unpaid invoices box.
- If you open an existing non-soap recipe with only packaging items, it will open with the Packaging tab selected.
- Previously, if you deleted a product batch and chose to restore stock to your supplies inventory, SoapMaker used the original recipe
to determine quantities to restore. But this could cause problems if the recipe had since been changed, or purchase records had been edited.
Now only the batch records are used to restore ingredients to the original purchase records for accuracy.
- Previously you could double-click an item in the Purchase History report to edit the stock remaining. But now you can use the
Remove Stock feature which keeps a record so this is the preferred method. Double-clicking an item now will open the Remove Stock dialog.
You can still choose to edit the stock remaining if desired, but the first time you use the Edit Stock command in any session,
you will see a message suggesting you use the Remove Stock command instead.
- The New Batch dialog now checks to make sure there is some content in the batch before saving, rather than leaving it to MyProducts to deal with.
- On the New Supply Purchase form, when you select an existing row, the Lot number field will be automatically selected
if there is none entered yet.
- When you save a new supply order, the Supply Orders report will no longer be opened automatically because this can be annoying -
you can open it any time by selecting it under the main Reports menu.
- A new Help topic explains how to account for tap water as a business expense and in your
recipe and product costs. This topic is in the Frequently Asked Questions section
- The date format in Sales Register and Transfer Register forms has been changed to be compatible with other forms and reports.
- In MyProducts, If you selected 'Show only items with stock left', and a batch had stock gone from some sub-batches but not all,
the Total Made for that batch was not showing correctly.
- On the New Supply Purchase form, if you started to enter the first item, then clicked anywhere else on the form before
completing the row, pressing ENTER caused an error.
- The Product Transfer form was not showing the product sizes.
- If you deleted a row from a recipe and then saved the recipe, a message would incorrectly tell you there was an incomplete entry.
SoapMaker 3.12.5 Release Notes
Released Feb 12, 2018.
This update fixes a few bugs:
- When recording a sales register, an item's tax could be added to the wrong tax total
under the following conditions:
- if you were using a Tax Group with more than one tax, and
- you selected the second tax from the group for an item, and
- you checked the Tax Included in Price box
- Reused Report – if you deleted the most recent item, the unit cost for that ingredient
may not have been updated correctly.
- If you added a new category from the Reused Products dialog and MySupplies was already open,
the Category drop-down list did not include the new one.
- When a new product batch is recorded, MyProducts checks the date setting to make sure the new batch will be shown,
but if your computer is not set to use English dates, it would always force the setting to 'All Dates'.
- On the New Batch dialog, you can drag the boundary between lists to adjust their relative sizes.
But if you dragged too far an error could occur.
SoapMaker 3.12.4 Release Notes
Released Jan 28, 2018.
This update fixes a serious problem for non-English computers -
in several reports, date range selection could cause errors.
Fixed a bug in the Product Transfers report -
if you tried to print a transfer invoice to a customer branch with no shipping address saved,
an error occurred.
SoapMaker 3.12.3 Release Notes
Released Jan 24, 2018.
This update fixes one bug, and marks the end of the beta test phase.
There was a bug in MySupplies which caused column widths to be a bit off.
This version appears stable with no known bugs at this time.
If you have not been trying the beta test versions, please see the list of changes
for releases 3.12.0 through 3.12.2 below.
SoapMaker 3.12.2 Beta Release Notes
Released for beta testing Jan 20, 2018.
This update fixes a bug in the Reused Products report that
could cause the program to hang.
SoapMaker 3.12.1 Beta Release Notes
Released for beta testing Jan 16, 2018.
In response to user feedback, the ability to enter fractional packaging quantities in recipes has been restored.
Several forms and reports have been changed to better display fractional packaging quantites.
A bug has been fixed in the Sales Record form and Product Transfer form -
If you added packaging items for shipping while editing a previous order, stock may not have been adjusted correctly.
The Price List has been changed so exporting will exclude products with no stock when the
Show only products with stock remaining box is checked.
If open, the Reused Products report list is refreshed automatically when you make a batch
using reused products as recipe ingredients.
The Stock Removed report will show 'reused' for the Order Number when you remove
supply stock that was a reused product.
SoapMaker 3.12.0 Beta Release Notes
Released for beta testing Jan 15, 2018.
New Supply Purchase or Expense form:
This is a completely new form to replace the previous version.
It has a format similar to the new Sales Register form introduced in version 3.11,
and provides the following benefits:
- You can now define a new supply item or category on the fly without having to close the order form.
- Order size is no longer limited.
- You can add more items by double-clicking them in MySupplies instead of entering them on the form.
- You can safely edit a previous order even if some items had been used already; stock is adjusted to reflect any changes.
- New checkbox to set as special price – price will then not be used for latest unit cost display in recipes or MySupplies.
During beta test, the old version is still available under the main Supplies menu in case of problems,
but will be retired when the beta test phase is completed.
Reused Products report
This new report lists all transactions where you have transferred products back into your
supplies stock. It is accessible from the main Reports menu.
From this report, you can:
- Return items to the original product inventory if desired.
- Remove them from stock (e.g. write-off)
- View the original product batch, the supply item in MySupplies, and the Usage report.
New Search feature
Search boxes have been added to MyRecipes, MySupplies, MyProducts, and Customers Report. See below for details.
Whenever you print anything now, a standard Print Dialog will show like most other applications.
This will enable you to easily select a different printer or print to PDF file, or change printer properties for
landscape format (best for wide reports).
Sales Register form:
- If editing a row, then selecting a different row or saving the form will now automatically save your changes instead of raising a dialog.
- More meaningful warning indicators are shown to differentiate between notices about stock levels
and warnings about items that are incomplete and can't be saved yet.
- The TotalPrice option has been changed so if a price has already been entered for an item, it will remember which option was used
for that item. Otherwise it will use the option currently set in the input area.
- When you use the Fill Prices button, prices are only filled in items where you haven't entered a price yet.
But if you have changed any product codes in your Price List, the new codes will be filled in regardless of whether the price is blank.
- When you add packaging items for shipping, the saved costs of these items were previously based on the most recent lot
purchased. Now the costs are based on the actual lot(s) from which the items are drawn (the oldest purchase with stock available),
the same as when you record new product batches.
- New option to show only items with stock remaining.
- New Search feature for Additives and Packaging - just start typing any part of a name and the list will show all matches.
- List views for Additives and Packaging show total number of names listed.
Supply Orders Report:
- New Export button enables you to export a CSV file containing the displayed list of orders with all their values.
This file can be opened with a spreadsheet program such as Excel or LibreOffice.
- the Amount shown in the list of orders was previously the Business Cost.
Now it is the Total order cost to match the supplier's invoice.
- When you display a particular order, the total order cost is now shown as well as the total business cost.
- Now shows both Inventory and Special Price indicators in status column.
- New toolbar button to start a New purchase order.
Purchase History report:
- New column shows whether special price (i.e. won't affect recipe costs, or unit costs in MySupplies)
- Added legend to show icon meanings
- Can no longer edit Lot Numbers - these can now be changed by editing the original Supply Order.
- For supply items which are reused products rather than purchases, the Supplier button will open
MyProducts with the original batch selected.
- Reports button has new menu items to show these additional reports: Reused Products, Removed Products, and Transferred Stock
- Search box enables you to look for and select a particular batch number.
- Several reports have a button or context menu item to show the related product batch.
Previously this would just open MyProducts, but now it will select the particular batch and show the details.
MyRecipes: New Search feature - just start typing any part of a recipe name and the list will show all recipes which match.
Sales history report:
- New selection filters for price category and tax group like the Invoices report.
- New toolbar button and context menu item to view the selected product batch details.
- The list is now automatically refreshed when changes are made on another form, so the Refresh button has been removed.
Supply Usage report:
- New context pop-up menu when you right-click a list item.
- For Packaging items, the report also lists usage for shipping in Sales Registers or Product Transfer Registers,
as well as batches made. A Toolbar button and context menu item allow viewing the related register.
- When Show Customer Info button is clicked in various reports, the Customers report opens with the
related customer and branch selected for viewing.
- New Search feature - just start typing any part of a customer name to highlight it in the list.
- When adding the first contact for a customer, if the only branch is the Main branch, then the contact name defaults
to the Customer name to save having to type it.
NewBatch and New Blend Batch forms – you can now cancel and close the form even if you have entered an invalid field.
Additive or Packaging items called 'Lye (NaOH)' or 'Lye (KOH)' can cause confusion, so this is no longer allowed.
Transfers report: Total quantity is now shown on printed consignment invoices.
New Recipe main File menu has been restored and can be used even if MyRecipes is not open.
Exporting a recipe or ingredient list could cause 'invalid filename' error if the recipe name contains
a character that is illegal for filenames. Now any illegal characters are removed from the suggested filename before saving.
List of All Purchases report is now refreshed automatically if open when recording new purchases.
Wizard panels on Recipe forms, MySupplies and MyProducts are intended to guide new users while learning the program.
But I often see experienced users leaving these panels open even though they use up a lot of screen space. Now if a Wizard panel
is unused for 20 sessions, it will automatically be closed. Of course you can open/close it any time by clicking the Wizard button
on the toolbar.
Previously, the following reports could miss items recorded on the first or last day of the selected date range,
depending on the time of day they were recorded:
- Supply Orders report
- Sales History
- Invoices report
- Supply Usage
- Tax Summary
- List of all Purchases
- Transfers Report
- Stock Removed Report
Some reports showed a date range option 'This year' and some showed 'Year to date'.
Now they all use 'This year' to be consistent and avoid confusion.
- When printing an invoice, the customer name did not show unless there was also an address.
- When editing a transfer record, it was possible to create negative stock in MyProducts.
- If you tried to delete a pending supply order without opening it and saving it, an error occurred.
- If you deleted an item while editing a previously saved sales record, the stock from the deleted item was not restored to MyProducts.
- When adding products to a Sales Register, if you accidentally triple-clicked a batch in MyProducts, an occasional error might occur.
- If a supply order contained identical items, the List of all Purchases report was not showing all of them.
- Packaging item quantities should always be whole numbers, not fractions.
But it was possible to enter fractional quantities in recipes, and this would introduce incorrect amounts when making batches.
Now you can only enter whole number quantities for packaging.
- Transfers Report: Fixed bug that caused error when trying to zoom print preview.
- Transfer Record form was not validating inputs before saving when you use the Main File/Save menu or Ctrl-S.
- Sales Record form: When adding products directly to a Sales Register (without using the dialog to enter quantity),
the warning message about 'no quantity or price' was repeated for each item instead of just showing once for the new item.
- Supply Orders report: When deleting a pending order the database was not updated correctly.
- If you tried to edit a Sales Register with only one item, and the related product batch had no stock remaining, an error occurred.
- Stock Removed report and Labor report: After closing, the File menu for exporting was still enabled, and would cause error if selected.
- Usage History report: fixed problem causing many list items with 'unknown' lot.
SoapMaker 3.11.5 Release Notes
New stable release on October 10, 2017 (First released for beta testing October 6, 2017)
This update fixes a couple of bugs and adds some improvements:
Sales Record form
- When editing an existing sales register, changing the quantity of an item could show
an incorrect message saying 'Returning more that made'.
- If you pressed Ctrl-S to save the form, it could cause redundant empty sales record to be saved,
or cause an error if the optional Reminder dialog was shown.
- Now pressing ENTER only saves item changes if focus is on one of the boxes in the item input area.
- If you edit an item, and then select a different one from the list before saving changes, you will
be asked whether you want to save first instead of just discarding the changes.
- Added keyboard shortcuts to the captions for SaveItem (ENTER) and Cancel (ESC) buttons
- Now if you click the Apply same tax to all items button while still editing an item,
it is saved automatically to avoid confusion.
Invoices report: When deleting a sales register and restoring stock, MyProducts and
MySupplies are now refreshed AFTER the final message to avoid confusion.
Transfers Report: When deleting a transfer register, if the quantity to be returned to the
source location exceeds the quantity made, the stock remaining is set equal to the quantity made
instead of being unchanged.
SoapMaker 3.11.4 Beta Release Notes
Released for beta testing Sept. 30, 2017.
This update fixes one bug - The new Sales Record form was not showing the correct Product Description
and Item number after editing and saving an item.
SoapMaker 3.11.3 Beta Release Notes
Released for beta testing Sept. 27, 2017.
This update fixes one serious bug, as well as several other problems, and adds a number of improvements.
- The New Supply Purchase or Expense form was not saving Other Expense items due to
a bug introduced in 3.11.0. Although the items were not saved, their costs were included in the total order cost.
If you have recorded expense items since installing version 3.11.0 or later, you will need to
edit those purchase orders and re-enter the expense items. You can access them from the
Supply Orders report.
- When loading a previous purchase order for editing, if there were no expense items previously,
the Expense Category boxes were not being populated with the category list.
- Fixed a bug in the Labor Report, Stock Removed report and List of all Purchases
which caused an error when opening the form if it was minimized before closing last time.
- The Customers List allowed you to click the Edit button when no list item was selected,
causing an error.
The following changes should make it easier to use these forms:
The currently selected Input box is highlighted
- Ctrl-S to save changes
- ESC key to cancel
- Ctrl-S to save changes
- Ctrl-T to move to the next tab
- ESC key to cancel
- Ctrl-N to create a New item
- Ctrl-S or ENTER to save changes
- ESC key to cancel
- Ctrl-S to save changes
- ESC key to cancel
- TAB to move right, or down to next row
- ENTER to move down one row;
Shift-ENTER to move up
SoapMaker 3.11.2 Beta Release Notes
Released for beta testing Sept. 16, 2017.
This update fixes two bugs:
- On the new Sales Record form, you can move up and down the list of items by pressing ENTER or Shift-ENTER.
But if the list was longer than the page, it was not scrolling automatically to keep the selected item visible.
- The Non-Soap recipe form was calculating incorrect total weight and volume if you changed portion size or
quantity while expected water loss was not set to zero.
SoapMaker 3.11.1 Beta Release Notes
Released for beta testing Sept. 14, 2017.
This update fixes some bugs and makes a few improvements in response to user feedback.
- A bug in the Price List incorrectly showed a message saying 'duplicate code' when
you tried to add a new Product Code.
- The Sales Register form was not copying the Tax Included indication when
Apply Same Tax to All Items was clicked.
- When saving changes to Product Description or Tag in MyProducts it was possible
to lose Price List entries if you declined the offer to propagate the changes.
Now if there are no other batches with the same changed Description or Tag, the Price List is automatically updated to match.
- Now when you print Product Transfer (Consignment) Invoices, the same products from different batches
are consolidated into single items, as in Sales Invoices. Batch numbers are not shown, and you have the option to
show Product Codes, Tags or both.
- The new Sales Register form has been improved to make it easier to use, and more like the old version:
- The selected item will automatically focus on the first field which has no data yet.
- Pressing ENTER will move to the next item in the list, saving any changes to the current one.
- Shift-ENTER will move to the previous item.
SoapMaker 3.11.0 Beta Release Notes
Released for Beta Test September 2, 2017
This update introduces a major new feature for Professional Edition users,
and provides several improvements and bug fixes.
New Feature - Import of Sales Records
If you use a web shopping cart, or a point-of-sale system, you may be able to import sales records into
SoapMaker and have your product stock adjusted automatically. The Users Manual has new topics explaining how to
To facilitate this new feature and address some other issues, the New Sales Register form has been changed
significantly. There is no longer a limit of 99 entries, and the user interface is different. To help you adjust,
an optional Tips window on the form explains how to efficiently use the new layout.
- Added to the warning message when deleting a sales register to mention that the Sales History report will no longer show these items.
- If you delete the most recent batch, the batch number will be re-used for the next batch you make.
If you have already recorded sales of some of the products from the deleted batch, those sales records will be misleading because
they reference the same batch number as the new unrelated batch.
Now if you delete a batch after selling some of its products, you will receive a warning message, and have the option to cancel the deletion.
- If you assign Product Codes in your Price List, each product should have a unique code. Now when you open the Price List,
it will check for duplicate codes, and if any are found will save a list so you can correct.
When you enter a new code, you will get a warning message if the code has already been assigned to another product.
- A new optional reminder message shows when you make a new batch, explaining that batch costs may differ from recipe costs.
- When saved recipes are opened, input quantities using tsp or Tbsp units will always show 2 decimal places, regardless of the scale precision setting.
- Customers report – When creating a new branch, the preferred Tax Group and Notes were not being saved.
- The Price List would occasionally show spurious results due to a badly formed database query.
- The New Batch form was clearing already filled in Tag field when the waste factor was changed.
- Previously it was possible to save a Product Description with leading or trailing spaces. This can result in redundant
entries in your Price List. When you update to this version, if any of those spaces are found they will be removed.
- MyProducts was not saving edited Notes for batch records stored in locations other than HOME.
- An error occurred if you tried to add Additive ingredients to a Soap recipe, or tried to save it, before entering any base oils.
- Product Descriptions with ampersands did not display correctly in the Price List.
- In MyProducts, if you chose to view products in ALL LOCATIONS, the number of sub-batches indicated for each batch in the
Batch List would total the sub-batches in every location instead of just the total number of sub-batches originally made.
SoapMaker 3.10.10 Release Notes
First Released as Beta July 14, 2017; Removed 'Beta' designation July 26.
This update consolidates several bug fixes since version 3.10.5.
If you have already installed 3.10.10 beta, there is no need to update.
SoapMaker 3.10.9 beta Release Notes
Released July 11, 2017.
- In MySupplies, the unit cost column heading now says 'Last Cost/unit' to make it clear that it's based on the most recent purchase.
- The new sub-batch Tags introduced in 3.10 must be unique within each product batch. But when this feature was first introduced
and your database was updated to add Tags, they were given initial values derived from the cured size of each sub-batch.
If two sub-batches had almost the same size, this could result in duplicate Tags, which can then cause errors later.
Now when you select a batch in MyProducts and duplicate Tags are detected, a warning message tells you to change one so they are unique.
- Still trying to fix problem saving Price List when you have a very large inventory of unique products...
This may be due to a timing issue, so I have increased the delay to allow the database to finish deleting old tables before saving new ones,
and made it proportional to the number of products.
SoapMaker 3.10.8 beta Release Notes
Released July 6, 2017.
This update attempts to fix one problem:
If you have a very large inventory of unique products, some changes are not captured when saving the Price List after editing.
This may be due to a timing issue, so I have added a delay to allow the database to finish deleting old tables before saving new ones.
SoapMaker 3.10.7 beta Release Notes
Released June 29, 2017.
This update fixes two problem:
- When editing an existing Sales Register, if a product's Tag had since been changed and you needed to
select the new Tag, then deleting the item or saving the edited invoice caused an error.
- Product names with ampersands were not displayed correctly in the Sales Register form or Transfer Register form.
SoapMaker 3.10.6 beta Release Notes
Released June 27, 2017.
This update addresses two error conditions:
- When attempting to record supply purchases, spurious errors occur when entering the Number of Containers field.
In this update, the errors are simply being ignored since they don't seem to be based on an actual problem.
- In MyProducts, if on old batch is detected with no content, an error occurred. Now any old empty batches will be deleted automatically.
SoapMaker 3.10.5 Release Notes
Released June 26, 2017.
This update fixes a number of problems, and adds code to further chase some weird occasional errors.
- Product Transfer Record form: corrected bug which prevented adding new item to existing register being edited.
- Transfers Report: If you displayed a register for a transfer from a location other than the HOME location,
then tried to display a transfer from the HOME location, an incorrect spurious warning was displayed.
- MyProducts: if you edit a batch in a location other than HOME and set the stock remaining to zero for any sub-batch,
that record will now be deleted to avoid orphan database records.
- If you have a large database, it can take quite a while to populate the product list in MyProducts or the
Price List form. Now a message is displayed while loading the list to let you know what's happening.
- When you record a new batch, MyProducts will show only products from that recipe or with that product description,
so the list will load quickly. Also, if you set MyProducts to show only products made this year, it will remember that
setting next time you open it, so loading will be much faster.
- The Sales History report was adding the cost instead of subtracting it to get the Profit. This has been fixed.
The Cost and Profit columns have been exchanged for a more logical presentation.
- The Tax and Income Summary report was not including the actual cost of supply lots used in the Total Costs value.
- Printers with continuous roll paper were causing an error when trying to print. Now the program attempts to limit the
page size to avoid this problem.
- If you changed a product sub-batch tag in MyProducts, and later tried to edit an existing sales invoice that referenced
the old tag, an error occurred. Now you will be warned that a matching tag could not be found, and you will have to
select an appropriate tag and re-enter the price before saving the edited invoice.
- Added code to New Supply Purchase form to chase occasional weird error.
- The Price List form would sometimes not save changes correctly. The code has been changed to attempt to fix this problem.
- When printing a Price List, long product codes would overlap the adjacent column.
- When updating from a version prior to 3.10, an error could occur while updating the database if you had saved a batch
with very small portion sizes in fl oz.
- If old batches had somehow been saved with no weight or volume, an error could occur during update.
- Topics have been added to the Users Manual to describe:
- How to record product gift sets used for advertising
- What's involved in deleting old supply items or products
SoapMaker 3.10.4 Release Notes
Released June 13, 2017.
This update corrects a few problems and marks the completion of the 3.10 beta test phase. This new version is stable with no know problems.
Problems fixed and other changes in this update:
- If you opened the dialog in MyProducts to add products to a Sales Register, or to transfer products to another Location,
then clicked in the MyProducts batch list before completing the dialog, you would see two warning messages instead of one,
and in some instances this could cause a program error.
- When editing a customer's information in the Customers List, it was possible for the input fields to be enabled without
first clicking the EDIT button. If you then made changes and clicked SAVE an error occurred.
- When filling a new Sales Register, you can now select whether to enter unit prices, or item totals – the other field
will remain disabled so when using Tab to enter data, the unselected column will be skipped.
- The Sales Register form has been improved by ensuring price fields are correctly formatted for currency.
- An extensive list of common ingredient Specific Gravity and INCI names has been added to the users manual.
For a complete list of new features and improvements in version 3.10, please see the release notes below.
SoapMaker 3.10.3 Beta Release Notes
Released June 1, 2017.
Fixed a bug, and made a couple of changes in response to user testing:
- Version 3.10 added a new dialog when adding products to a Sales Register so you can select
the sub-batch and enter the quantity before the item is added to the register. But if you prefer
to add all your items first and then fill in the quantities, you can still do it that way by checking
the new box labeled Add to Sales Register Directly. This will skip the dialog and immediately add
the products to the register with no quantity.
(If you choose this option, you cannot also
use the Consolidate Products option to add products from multiple batches with a single operation.)
- If you had chosen Select by Recipe in MyProducts, and then checked the Consolidate Products box,
the display switched to Select by Product Description. This has been fixed so your preferred selection
criteria are maintained.
- If you started a new Sales Register, then deleted the first item before adding more items,
the SAVE button remained disabled. This has been fixed.
SoapMaker 3.10.2 Beta Release Notes
Released May 22, 2017.
This update fixes several problems uncovered during beta testing:
- If you deleted a row in the New Sales Record form, or the Product Transfers form,
and then added another item, an error occurred.
- When editing a Transfer Register, changing the date or comment didn't activate SAVE button.
- When transferring products, the portion cost was not being saved, so cost didn't show up in your Price List.
- In MyProducts, the Batch Detail Excess field was not visible if showing all locations even if
the selected batch record was only in the HOME location.
- On Recipe forms, ingredient and packaging costs were not displaying correctly for very large values.
- When updating from an earlier version, an error occurred if batches had been saved with zero cost.
It also adds a couple of small improvements:
- When making a new batch or repeating a batch from MyProducts, the current selection criteria for the batch list will be
maintained if the new batch can be displayed without changing them.
- When recording a sale or transfer, the quantity box in the dialog will have focus immediately if there is only
one sub-batch; otherwise the Tag list will have focus so you can select the sub-batch.
SoapMaker 3.10.1 Beta Release Notes
Released May 17, 2017.
This update fixes one problem - when first installed, there was a problem updating your database if it contained batches made with just packaging items.
SoapMaker 3.10.0 Beta Release Notes
Released May 12, 2017.
This is a major new update that adds the 'most requested' new features and many improvements.
It also fixes a number of little bugs.
Because this release changes lots of existing code and adds many new modules, it is being released for Beta testing by
When you update an earlier version by installing this one, it will make significant changes to your database. So be sure to backup
your data before installing it. (If you decide to uninstall later and reinstall the older version, you will have to restore your backup
data, as the updated database will not be compatible with the previous version of SoapMaker 3.)
- Consignment Sales - Several related new features support selling your products on consigment:
- Product Locations - Your product inventory can now be in multiple locations.
These can be customer locations, or your own warehouses in other places.
- Product Transfers - You can record the transfer of product stock between locations,
print a transfer invoice with optional suggested prices, and
maintain a transfer report listing each item.
- Product Returns - If a customer returns products to you, this can now be recorded using the new RETURN
feature in your Sales Registers/Invoices report. Returned products can either be written off, or restored to your inventory.
- Return Registers - Product returns are listed in the report showing
the refund amount as well as the adjustments to your income and costs that affect your Tax and Income Summary report.
- Credit Statement - You can print a credit statement to send to your customer, listing the products
returned, and showing the refund amount.
- Stock Removal - You can now record removal of supplies or products stock for a specific purpose.
This can be write-off, advertising, donation, personal use or other.
- A new Stock Removed report list all stock removals, and the adjustments are
shown on the Tax and Income Summary report.
- New Price Categories feature - In MyPreferences you can now define as
many price categories as you like. Initally there are two: retail and
wholesale. Your Price List can have separate lists of prices for each category, which can be
used to fill in the prices when creating a new sales register. Each customer can have a preferred price category.
- Expanded Customer List - This has many added features to make it easier to record sales and filter
- Branches - Now each customer can have multiple branches. Each branch can have both
a billing address and a shipping address. Both addresses can appear on invoices, and can be exported to make
- Contacts - Each branch can have multiple contacts, showing name, title, email and phone numbers.
All contacts can be exported to create a contact list if desired.
- Locations - Customer branches can be linked to product location to facilitate consignment sales.
- Preferred price category and tax group - You can set these for each customer and branch
so they will be selected automatically when you create an invoice.
- Product List - MyProducts has new features and added flexibility:
- New product Tags - Each sub-batch now has a unique Tag to differntiate it. Initially after
updating to this version, the Tags will be set to match the Cured Size parameter, but you can change them
to something meaningful to your customers. Tags can be related to bar/portion size (e.g.
small, medium, large, Xlarge), or bar shape (e.g. star, fish, circle).
- Batch editing - When editing Tags for a particular batch, pressing the Enter key will move down to the next
sub-batch Tag field. Pressing Ctrl-S will save the changes. This can save you time while creating new Tags for
- Tag propogation - To help you start using these new Tags, when you change the Tags for a particular batch
in MyProducts you will be given the option to automatically change all other batches
with the same Product Description and sub-batch sizes to match in your product list and Price List.
- The batch list can be filtered to show products only in a specific location,
or in all locations.
- The list can be expanded to show individual sub-batches on separate lines; this can be handy when
recording sales so you don't have to select the sub-batch in the sales register.
- Consolidated view - When you choose the option to show the batch list consolidated by Product Description,
you can then record sales of products from multiple batches with a single operation - stock will be taken
from multiple batches as needed, starting with the oldest batch that still has stock remaining.
- Sales Registers/Invoices report - New filtering options have been added, as well as new print formats:
- You can filter the list of sales registers by
- Customer and Branch
- Price Category (e.g. wholesale, retail)
- Tax Group (use this to filter by region)
- Date range
- Invoices now show both billing and shipping address if they have been defined for the customer branch.
If you included a discount, the invoice shows the total before discount, as well as the discounted total.
New printing options enable you to include:
- Product Tags (called 'Class' on the Invoice) - this replaces the previous option to show actual sizes.
- Product Codes (from your Price List)
- Both or neither of these
- You can print a Waybill (shipping list) which lists the products without showing prices.
- New export option - In addition to exporting an invoice as text, you can now export a sales register
as a CSV file which can be opened with a spreadsheet.
- New Print Dialog Printer Setup button - All print dialogs now include this button so you can change
printer or orientation (landscape or portrait) before printing without having to go the the main File menu. You can
also use this to print to a PDF file instead of paper.
- HELP system improvements:
- New Users Manual topics describe the new features, with new keywords in the Index.
- The manual has been extensivel re-organized with a new Common Tasks section that provides
step-by-step instructions for most of the procedures you can do with SoapMaker 3. This section can be
accessed directly using the main toolbar HELP button, or the HELP menu.
- New Daily Tips have been added to point out the new features. The new tips will start showing
after you install this update.
- A new toolbar Export button on the Recipe form provides a more visible way to export
an ingredient list for making labels.
- Soap recipes now show the water amount as percentage of oils as well as percentage of total recipe.
- New Supply Shipment form - When recording purchase of a Packaging Item, the Expiry Date field is disabled so
you can't accidentally get stuck having to enter a valid date that is meaningless. A new pop-up message explains
how to enter packaging quantities because the term 'containers' has been a source of confusion.
- Shopping List - The form no longer calculates each time you add another recipe, as this can get quite
slow as the list grows. Now there is a Calculate button; click this after you have added all the recipes
- Tax Groups - You can now save a tax group with zero tax rates.
So if you sell into a region where you do not have to collect tax, you can still specify a
unique tax group for the region. Then you can filter your Sales Registers/Invoices report by Tax Group
to see only registers for sales into a particular region.
Many small bugs have been fixed, plus these ones:
- When printing a supply order, long names or lot numbers no longer overlap the next column.
- If the Supply Orders report was open when you recorded a new purchase and added a new supplier name,
this new supplier did not appear in the Orders report, and the new purchase was saved showing
supplier name 'unknown'.
- Because of an old bug, there may be Sales Invoices saved with an invalid tax rate, which
causes an error when trying to display the Invoice, or the Tax and Income Summary report.
When you install this update, it will attempt to repair these if any are found.
- The Tax and Income Summary report was not handling returned 'other expense' supply items correctly
– it was adding in cost instead of subtracting it.
- In some cases when editing an existing sales record, the product stock was not adjusted correctly.
- When saving a new supply purchase, if no cost had been entered for an item,
an error occurred and the order could not be saved. Now the order will be saved,
showing a price of zero for that item
- When you record sales, you can include items from your own Packaging stock used to ship the products.
But I had forgotten to include the cost of these in the Tax Summary costs.
This was not a problem if you chose the option to 'Use total purchase amounts during the period'
to get your Cost of Goods Sold. But if you used the option to 'Use actual cost of supply lots used'
then you were missing those packaging item costs. Now the Tax Summary will include your packaging
costs in the shipping costs item if you choose the latter option. This will also include packaging
used to transfer products to a consignment location.
- When printing recipes, quantities are no longer shown with more than one trailing zero
after the decimal point.
- In the Re-Use Supplies dialog, if you selected a category with no existing items, it was possible to click Save and get an error.
Now the Save button is not enabled unless there is a supply item name present.
- Previously it was possible to turn off tracking for a supply item even if there was stock
remaining. Now this is not allowed because the stock quantity is not visible in MySupplies and
does not get counted in the total stock value. Now when you record a supply item purchase,
tracking is automatically turned on (unless you check 'Not for Inventory')
- In the Shopping List form, the Bars/Portions field in the list of recipes did not scroll
when the rest of the list was scrolled.
- On the New Sales Register form, if you entered a credit card fee as a percentage, the amount
was calculated on the total before tax, which is incorrect. Now the total including tax is used for
- The Tax and Income Summary report will now avoid listing expense categories multiple times if they
were saved both with and without capitalization.
SoapMaker 3.9.6 Release Notes
Released January 5, 2017.
This is an emergency update with an important bug fix for Pro edition users.
This bug prevented the Tax and Income summary report from showing the correct supplies inventory value
unless you first opened MySupplies and selected the Packaging tab. Otherwise, your packaging inventory value
was not included in the total.
This release also contains the following changes:
- If trying to rename a recipe in MyRecipes, a message would indicate 'name already in use' preventing the change.
- When creating a new expense category in the New Supply Purchase form, the new category now immediately becomes available
in the drop-down lists of other rows.
- Added code to prevent saving names with leading or trailing blanks for the following:
- Expense item category
- Recipe name or Group name
- Supply item name or category name
- Mold name
SoapMaker 3.9.5 Release Notes
Released November 21, 2016.
This update completes the beta test phase, and provides a few fixes:
- It was possible to save a supply Lot Number or expense Category with invalid characters (quote or slash)
which then caused errors when trying to display data in various reports.
- When saving a new batch, the Edit Lots dialog has been changed to show long lot numbers.
- If some expense items had been saved with a category name having a trailing blank, the Tax and Income Summary
report would list the same apparent category multiple times.
- On some computers, list views with columns of numbers would show '...' instead of the number unless the
column was manually stretched wider.
- Changed oil name 'Shea butter' to 'Shea Butter'.
- The Category lists in MySupplies, and the Recipe Group list in the Sales History report were
not sorted alphabetically.
- When deleting a return order from the Supply Orders Report, a new message explains that stock quantities
will not be restored – you will need to edit the Purchase History for affected items.
SoapMaker 3.9.4 (beta) Release Notes
Released November 9, 2016 for beta testing.
This update fixes several problems:
- Supply Orders report:
- If you tried to edit an order and it had been saved with no sales taxes, an error could occur when the Edit Supply Purchase form opened.
- If you right-clicked the item list without selecting any item, and then selected Return Order from the pop-up menu, an error occurred.
Now the menu is disabled unless you select one or more items.
- On some printers, the Tax and Income Summary report right-most columns would extend past the margin.
- If you try to open a recipe which is already open, you are asked if you want to open a copy.
Previously, if you answered 'no', the command was simply ignored. Now, we assume you want to see the recipe, so it comes to the front.
- Similarly, in MyProducts, if you click the Invoices button on the toolbar, and the Invoices report is already open,
it will be brought to the front so you can view it.
- In MySupplies, if you selected a particular Additive or Packaging category in the 'Sortable List' view, and then switched
to the 'Organize by Category' view, the selected item was not highlighted correctly.
- Because of occasional mysterious errors when saving a new supply purchase order, I have changed the code to use a different method and avoid this error.
- Another mysterious error occurs occasionally when switching between 'Organize by Category' and 'Sortable List' views in MySupplies.
Code has been changed to recover gracefully if this error occurs.
SoapMaker 3.9.3 (beta) Release Notes
Released November 4, 2016 for beta testing.
This update includes the correct version of the Users Manual, and fixes a problem
List of All Purchases report (some columns were not sorting correctly).
SoapMaker 3.9.2 (beta) Release Notes
Released November 2, 2016 for beta testing.
This update really fixes the bug in the Tax and Income Summary report.
SoapMaker 3.9.1 (beta) Release Notes
Released November 1, 2016 for beta testing.
This update fixes one bug in the Tax and Income Summary report.
SoapMaker 3.9.0 (beta) Release Notes
Released November 1, 2016 for beta testing.
Please try it, and report any problems.
- Return of supply items - You can now select one or more items from
the Supply Purchase Report to be returned to the supplier. With the Pro edition,
this will automatically adjust your supply inventory, and your total supplies cost.
You can alse use this new feature to correct a supply order if you can no longer edit it because
some of its items have already been used.
- Expense items now have real categories that can be selected from a drop-down menu
when recording a purchase.
- A new Labor report allows you to record wages and maintain a record for each employee (Pro edition only).
This new report is intended to replace the kludge of using 'packaging items' to track labor. A new topic in
the Users Manual discusses the problems of using this old kludge.
- The Tax and Income Summary report has been extensively modified to more clearly show what each field contains:
- New item for labor costs (derived from the new Labor Report)
- New list of Expense items broken out by category.
- Removed redundant minus signs from deducted amounts.
- In some jurisdictions, you do not collect sales tax for shipping costs, so there is a new option to indicate
whether or not the total tax on the customer invoice should include the tax on postage.
Regardless of which option you choose, the tax paid for postage is now included in overall business costs if not eligible for tax credit.
- All reports are now accessed from a new Reports main menu, rather than being scattered across the other menus.
- The Supply Lots Used report now includes the Purchase Date for each lot, and the Cost of the amount used
for the selected batch, as well as the total cost for the batch.
- The New Sales Record form now includes pre-stored messages you can insert into the Memo field to show on
customer invoices. You can change or add your own messages to the list.
- When recording a sale, you can now enter a credit card fee. These fees will be captured in the Tax and
Income Summary report and contribute to your Cost of Goods Sold.
- Edit Lot Numbers - Before, if you needed to add or change the manufacturer Lot Number for a purchased item,
you could only safely edit the original supply order if none of its items had been used to make batches yet.
Now you can edit the Lot Number at any time from the Purchase History report for a supply item.
- The Purchase History report window can now be stretched wider to enable viewing long Lot Numbers or Supplier names.
- The List of All Purchases report can be stretched down to show long lists. Now it will remember this size the next time you open it.
- The Supply Orders Report now shows supplier invoice number in the orders list. You can choose to show only orders
from a specific supplier, or with a particular invoice number.
- There is a more helpful warning and explanation if you attempt to save a new supply order with incomplete entries.
- A few users have gotten into trouble by creating custom oils with SAP value much too high, despite the automatic warning.
To prevent this, SoapMaker will no longer accept SAP values much higher than normal.
- If you changed the specific gravity (SG) of an additive item, and its latest purchase was in volume units,
the unit cost used for recipe pricing would no longer be correct. Now it is recalculated when the SG is changed.
- A bug in MySupplies caused an error when using the drop-down list to select a packaging category.
- If recording a sales register with 2 tax rates, the shipping tax was not being calculated.
- The MyProducts Show/Hide Notes button did not work correctly on computers with small screens.
- In Non-Soap Recipes the Expected Water Loss parameter was not being saved correctly.
- If supply costs were changed while an open recipe included a packaging item with quantity set to
'per portion' while the preference saved for this recipe type was 'total' (or vice versa), then the recipe
option reverted to the preference setting instead of the desired setting for this recipe.
- There was a bug in Sales History and Tax and Income Summary reports – If you chose the option
to show costs based on actual supply lots used, the cost was not calculated correctly for sales items where you had
used the option to include sales tax in the price.
- We're still getting occasional mysterious errors when saving a new supply order. I still don't understand this error,
but I have added code to attempt to recover from it when it occurs – if successful, you will see a message but will still
be able to save the order successfully.
SoapMaker 3.8.10 Release Notes
Released August 2, 2016
This release fixes some problems and adds a few improvements:
- The Reuse Products feature had a couple of problems:
- An error occurred if you tried to Re-use a product whose descriptive name is longer than 38 characters.
- Errors could occur if your numbering system is set to use comma as decimal point.
- The colour of the recipe form notice about ingredient costs has been changed from
red to blue.
- A few users have reported a weird error when saving a supply order. To debug this, I've added code to
record more information if this occurs. Please report any errors and send the error log.
- When editing an existing supply order, if you tabbed through the Expiry Date field, you were forced
to enter a valid date whether needed or not.
- Using the Backup Data and Shutdown command caused an error if the Graph window was open.
- The information notice when saving a new supply shipment did not fit in the window on some computers.
- A new warning has been added to the Users Manual regarding possible data loss with cloud storage
if not used correctly.
- MyProducts has been changed to better handle window size and position when both Wizard and
ShowNotes buttons are active.
SoapMaker 3.8.9 Release Notes
Released May 31, 2016
Removed 'beta' designation June 30, 2016. This is now a stable release.
There is one know problem with the Reuse Products feature - An error occurs if you try to Re-use a
product whose descriptive name is longer than 38 characters. You can avoid this by editing the
SoapMaker 3.8.8 Beta Release Notes
Released May 29, 2016
This beta release adds a few improvements:
- New Backup Database and Shut down command under the File menu makes it more
convenient to backup your data at the end of a session.
- Added a more helpful warning when trying to save a new supply order with no
- Non-soap recipes can now use the Full Screen view even if your screen may be
- For Pro users, a new note on each recipe's front page explains that recipe costs
may differ from batch costs. This has been confusing for some users. Of course the Users
Manual explains it in more detail.
It also contains additional code to try and resolve an occasional mysterious problem with
the Batch Reuse feature.
SoapMaker 3.8.7 Beta Release Notes
Released May 12, 2016, Updated May 16, 2016
This is a beta release intended for de-bugging a mysterious problem.
It also fixes a couple of problems:
- The Re-use products feature was not working correctly for Additives
if numbering system was set to use comma as decimal point.
- The Sales History Report has been improved to wrap long lines correctly when printing
SoapMaker 3.8.6 Release Notes
Released April 21, 2016
There was still a bug in the new Re-use products feature.
Unit costs were not being saved correctly for additive ingredients.
If you have already used this feature to save your products as additive ingredients,
you may need to correct them in order to see the accurate costs in recipes. Please follow the steps
described below in the 3.8.4 notes...
SoapMaker 3.8.5 Release Notes
Released April 13, 2016
On some computers, the needed system file MSSTDFMT.DLL is missing. This update makes
sure this file is installed and registered.
Fixed bug in MySupplies RefreshTree sub - this
could result in an error when adding a new packaging item or recording new purchase.
SoapMaker 3.8.4 Release Notes
Released April 8, 2016
This update fixes just one bug...
When the new Re-use Products feature was used to save products as an additive ingredient, the unit cost
was not calculated correctly.
If you have already used this feature to save your products as additive ingredients, you can correct the situation by following these steps after installing
- Open MySupplies and locate the additive ingredient that was saved from your products
- Right-click it and choose purchase history for item to open the Purchase History report
- Locate the entry with Order # 'N/A' and supplier 'My product...'. The Lot # is your product Batch number
- In MyProducts, select that batch and click the Edit button in the upper right corner.
- Change the Stock Left value to restore whatever you had previously specified for re-use. Click Save
- Back in the Purchase History report, right-click the entry for the re-used product
and choose delete purchase record from the pop-up menu.
- Now in MyProducts, perform the Re-Use action you had done initially. This time, the saved additive
will have the correct unit cost and value in MySupplies.
SoapMaker 3.8.3 Release Notes
Released April 7, 2016
This is a bug fix release that fixes a few problems...
- If you recorded a sale using the tax included in price option, an invalid tax rate may have been
saved. This caused an error when showing the sales register in the Invoices report. The problem has been fixed,
but if you have experienced this error, please contact us
- In MyProducts, the Show/Hide Notes button was not working correctly if the Wizard pane was open.
- On some computers with a small screen, the New Batch dialog was not showing a vertical scrollbar
when needed to see all elements in the form.
SoapMaker 3.8.2 General Release Notes
Released March 27, 2016
This version appears stable, with no problems reported, so the 'Beta' designation is being dropped.
Please see the list of new features and improvements below under '3.8.0'.
SoapMaker 3.8.2(Beta) Release Notes
Released March 16, 2016
Another fix - If you had never saved any Packaging items, then when you upgraded to version 3.8.1, an error occurred while trying to
update your database.
SoapMaker 3.8.1(Beta) Release Notes
Released March 16, 2016
Just a couple of fixes in response to user detected bugs (Thanks for your help folks! Keep up the good work.)
- If you renamed or deleted a Packaging item, I had forgotten to update the sorted list of items by category.
As a result, an error could occur when you selected this no longer existing item in a drop-down list.
- The new Re-use feature was not correctly calculating the quantity or cost of products saved as packaging items.
If you are using the beta version, please install this update now. Thanks.
SoapMaker 3.8.0(Beta) Release Notes
Released March 15, 2016
This update includes several requested new features, as well as some fixes and improvements.
On the surface, changes may seem slight, but the new features required significant changes to
many modules as well as several changes to the database structure.
It's being released for beta testing - please feel free to install it, but make sure you
backup your database first. If you find any problems, please let me know by using the Contact form
on the website SUPPORT page.
- New Re-Use Products feature:
From MyProducts, you can now select a batch and click the Re-Use button to move some of the
products from that batch into your Supplies inventory so they can be used to make other products.
You can use this feature for gift sets, pre-making soap bases, soap imbeds, and re-batching.
- Packaging items now have Categories:
Recipe forms, MySupplies and SalesRecord form have been
changed to include Category selection of Packaging items.
MySupplies now has a tree-view for organizing Packaging items by category.
Initially, all your items will be in the 'MiscPkg' category, but you can create new categories and
move items by dragging them individually, or using the MOVE button to move several at once.
- New Tax Rates possible:
You can now specify up to 3 different sales tax rates in each tax group (e.g. City, State, Country)
- Cost of Goods Sold (COGS)
Previously, the Tax and Income Summary Report showed your costs based on purchase amounts for
materials and packaging during the selected period. Now it provides the option to use COGS
instead - this is calculated using the adjusted costs for the actual supply lots used to make each batch,
regardless of when those supplies were purchased.
COGS is also shown in a new column on the Sales History report.
- Product Codes:
The Price List allows you to save unique product codes for each product, but previously SoapMaker did not
make use of these codes. Now, when you use the Fill Prices button when creating a Sales Record, the Product Codes
for each item will be filled in as well as the saved prices.
The Sales Registers/Invoices report shows the Product Codes for each item.
When printing a customer invoice, you now have the option to show product sizes, product codes, or neither.
- Both Additive categories and Packaging categories now have a maximum length of 10 characters,
instead of the previous limit of 7.
- MyProducts column heading changed from 'Sold' to 'Gone', because items may have been deleted rather than sold.
- MyMolds now has pop-up context menu when you right-click on a mold in the list.
- List of all Purchases report now has right-click context menu, and sortable columns.
- When you export a report in CSV format, a message now references the HELP topic if needed because some users are unsure how to open
the file in the correct format in Excel.
- When saving purchase or sales orders, calculated currency amounts are now rounded to 2 decimals for consistency with summary reports.
- When resizing a recipe, the automatically assigned name could be the same as a recipe already saved.
If you saved then opened that recipe and closed it while the graph was displayed an error occured.
Now the progarm will not allow you to save a resized recipe with a name that already exists.
- The date for an annual reminder to capture stock values for tax purposes can be set in MyPreferences,
but previously it was not possible to set a date in the current year – it would default to the following year.
- In MySupplies it was difficult to enter a specific gravity (SG) with a decimal point. SG is now always displayed with two decimal places.
- The Supply Purchase Form has been changed to avoid errors when a price is zero (e.g. free sample).
- When making a batch with no content, saving it caused an error if it was the very first batch.
- Recipe full screen Lye/Water frame title was missing the slash.
- The Make Blend dialog would sometimes warn of low stock when there was still lots left.
Older release notes...
- Removed redundant items (Help and Close) from context menus on several forms to free resources for new menus.
- MyPreferences – Can no longer use Ctrl-Tab or Ctrl-S as keyboard shortcuts because it would skip validation and allow saving invalid data.
- When a new user chooses 'Let me explore' instead of reading the manual 'Getting Started' topic, now there will be a reminder to
read the Initial Setup topics before entering actual data to avoid wasted time doing it in the wrong sequence.